2010 is underway, so it’s time for me to make a few predictions about the MMO industry this year. I’m not going to make a ton of predictions, but I will try to make them fairly specific and measurable. Without further ado, my predictions are beyond the break.
- Mythos will change hands again. I want this game to come out, because I was having a lot of fun in beta, but I’m not confident it will ever see the light of day.
- Blizzard will announce its next MMO. It will not take place in any of their existing IPs, and will not be fantasy.
- Mortal Online will launch. It will be more successful (subscriber numbers) than Darkfall. The main initial complaint will be “too much lag.”
- Jumpgate Evolution will launch. It will create a distinct split in style of space MMO from EVE (primarily due to the combat pacing). The main initial complaint will be “too much lag.”
- Alganon will announce that it is closing its doors. Old school Horizons fans (do I still count?) will be sad for David Allen.
Those are my predictions for 2010. Not many this year, but they should all be measurable.