Favorite Server Type

Vote on and post polls in this forum. Keep polls related to gaming in some way. If you have a poll you want to run that has nothing to do with video games, they belong in the off-topic forum. And, yes, I know the forum's name is contradictory.

What's your favorite server type?

PvE
48%
PvE RP
5%
PvP
5%
PvP RP
24%
Other (Explain)
19%

Total votes : 21

Favorite Server Type

Postby Blackguard on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am

What's your favorite type of server to play on? For purposes of this poll, assume there is instanced PvP content and dueling even on PvE servers.

If your favorite server type is not listed, select "Other" and explain in your post what your favorite server type is.

I personally prefer PvP RP servers because people tend to be a bit less of a pain on them.
Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Game Designer, 38 Studios
Custodian of the Nerfbat

Blackguard
Ryan Shwayder

Re: Favorite Server Type

Postby Draegan on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:44 pm

Depends on the game. So I picked other. Instanced PVP is a bane on our existence (if it's a pvp or rvr flavored game).

If we use WOW, I don't have a preference, I've played on both and never saw the difference for the last few years. It was different right after release though.

I hate RP realms since you have to many wankers on there. I can usually find a like minded group of people to play on any server... eventually.
Draegan
Lord

Postby jason on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:09 pm

I prefer PvP, if the game is well designed for PvP to limit the abundance of lopsided ganking. Pretty much any game with levels gating player power fails at open PvP, so for existing games I would avoid PvP servers.

And I do prefer roleplaying servers, if there are non-roleplaying servers available. I like it when I can go through entire game sessions without people breaking out the out of game and meta discussions.
-j
jason
flibbertigibbet

Postby Wiqd on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Can we qualify RP servers as being actual servers where people RP and not just servers where people try to RP but immature bastards flock there to ruin the fun for everyone?
Wiqd
Commoner

Postby JuJutsu on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Can we qualify RP servers as being actual servers where people RP and not just servers where people try to RP but immature bastards flock there to ruin the fun for everyone?

I guess you could but since I don't think such a thing exists I don't know if it gets you very far. I prefer a mix since a PvP server around tends to soak up the sociopaths and a non-RP PvE server tends to soak up the raiding weenies. Makes life more peaceful for us wankers.
JuJutsu
Knight

Postby Draegan on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:31 am

If you want to follow the WOW trend, most top end raiding guilds are on PVP servers.
Draegan
Lord

Postby Nybling on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:40 pm

Standard PvE/Core servers are my cup of tea.
Nybling
Thread Killer

Postby Ferrel on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:12 pm

^

Mine too. Good old fashion regular PvE servers. I played on a WoW PvP server. It was fun but it gets old when you're in a 20-30 zone, questing and not bothering anyone, and a 70 comes by to wipe you off the planet. I don't mind if the other sides 20-30s want to get into a tiff with me.

Either way, I'm very PvE. I honestly see (for me) it as a bigger challenge. Coordinating a few dozen people through a complex encounter isn't easy.

I just don't buy into the fact PvP takes "moar skillz" and "changes every time!" Neither seem true. If your game is gear centric that frequently invalidates skill. If it isn't, I agree.

As far as the changes every time aspect, I just don't see it. Scenarios and PvP is just as repetitive as PvE. The same objectives, the same classes. Its just a different guy /emoting that he poops on you when you die.
Ferrel
Epic Slant
Putting the O back in pwn.
Ferrel
Page

Postby Nybling on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:53 am

I agree with you about PvP.

Most people think carebear when people don't roll on a WoW PvP server, but all WoW PvP servers have is griefing. Most of the "real" PvP happens in battlegrounds or Arenas anyway.

WAR has Dark Crag and I've heard a lot of talk about how "real" PvP happens on Dark Crag but it amuses me that the definition of "real" PvP is always up in the air with the PvP crowd.

I'm more of a PvE guy personally, but I don't mind Realm v Realm or Player v Player content when things are interesting. I do not like fighting overwhelming odds only to be told that I'm a pussy by the opposing side because our warband won't try to fight their three warbands.
Nybling
Thread Killer

Postby Kareal on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Nybling wrote:I agree with you about PvP.

Most people think carebear when people don't roll on a WoW PvP server, but all WoW PvP servers have is griefing. Most of the "real" PvP happens in battlegrounds or Arenas anyway.

Thats true now but it wasn't true at release, before battlegrounds all people had was open world PvP and the PvE rule set just destroyed any fun people could have doing that.
Kareal
Page

Postby Nybling on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Kareal wrote:
Nybling wrote:I agree with you about PvP.

Thats true now but it wasn't true at release, before battlegrounds all people had was open world PvP and the PvE rule set just destroyed any fun people could have doing that.

True, but then again, WoW PvP initially was an after-thought until they started adding more things to the game to make a PvP playstyle a bit more viable in the game. Really comes down to the choices of how you want to build your game. PvP is something you need to design for in the beginning, considering it provides a good amount of content for a sizeable number of players.
Nybling
Thread Killer

Postby Baredil on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Went with 'Other', as I prefer PVE servers in a primarily PVE game such as Wow or Eq, yet I find myself preferring Eve over anything else, currently.

I've experienced more meaningless ganking of lowbies in Wow (Tarren Mills or Slaughterthorn Vale) than I ever have in Eve. When a high skilled player in Eve ganks a lowbie, at the very least he could conceivably loot the wreck and profit from the spoils. In Wow there's not even that reason.
Baredil
Commoner

Postby Makkaio on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm taking the newb way out on this, but I prefer a game that is designed for one or the other. I still don't feel developers can balance properly for PvP & PvE together. I don't think that is a negative. I really enjoy both PvE and PvP. But like just about anything, I think a game excels if it is one or the other.
Matt
My blog: The Fickle Corebear
Makkaio
Page

Postby JuJutsu on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 am

I want a server where schmucks like Imno781 get the boot asap.
JuJutsu
Knight

Return to The Quorum Census